Sunday 31 August 2008

Sydney 1994 vs 2008 - Nostalgic ramblings of an old fart...


I’ve now reached Sydney and the half way point of the tour. It’s going really bloody fast!

I last visited Sydney in 1994. Aged 21, it was the first time I’d travelled out of Europe. I arrived feeling shattered after a 24 hour cheapo flight, and checked into a dingy hotel at Kings Cross.

I didn’t have much money or a mobile phone and I remember hunting for a phone box to call my mum and sister to tell them I’d arrived safely.

I saved for a year to pay for that first trip to Australia. I remember going around on busses, trying to find cheap places to eat and not going into certain museums and attractions because I had to make my money last for a one month trip.

In 2008, things are pretty different. I arrived business class from Adelaide, a BMW 750 along with a chauffer turned up to take me to the five star hotel. After a shower I ordered room service and spolied myself with $100 of fancy beer, Waygu steak and king prawns from room service.

It’s cool to think about how the success of CHERUB has changed my life, but seeing the Sydney for the first time in fourteen years makes me feel quite nostalgic for my younger self. No matter how many books I sell, I’ll never be 21 again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi robert.

i thought you WERE 21...

sydney is amazing. the end.

BLEUGHR CHERUB yum.

Anonymous said...

You're not old....YET! be afraid,
It's me Alice, who was in the hummer first time. C I told u heaps of girls luv CHERUB too!