Wednesday 27 August 2008

Leaving Melbourne *SNIFFS*


When I was little I always used to cry at the end of our summer caravan holiday and I remember my dad getting annoied (he wasn't big on crying kids!) and saying that if I didn't stop balling we wouldn't go on holiday at all next year.

Even now I get a little twinge of emotion when I check out of a hotel (except the hell hole the Edinburgh Festival put me up in, where people were fighting and lobbing bottles outside my window until 5am).

So, what will I remember about Melbourne?

1. The festival site at Fed Square, no straight lines at all!
2. Janet - my able and very nice Aussie assistant (I get her hairy old boss Chris for the rest of the tour!)
3. Getting driven everywhere in a very swish Lexus. The rear arm rest had more buttons than most cars have in total, though I'm mystified by how many Australians really need a seat warmer button...
4. Strawberry pancakes for breakfast in the Sofitel (soooo good!)
5. My first stretch Hummer ride!
6. Patrick, the kid who chased me around Fed Square patting me on the back and yelling, 'Robert Muchamore rocks! You're my hero!'
7. The green uniformed kids from Trinity Grammar, who almost all seemed to own full sets of CHERUB books. I must have signed about 500 books for them!

Melbourne is probably the best writers festival I've done anywhere, even beating Edinburgh which a lot of people say is the best in the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the signing tomorrow in Perth. I've been counting down the ays until you get here for like two months. You are so cool i think im gonna be just like you one day a geek, living at home but not being chased around by adring school children.

Anonymous said...

"The festival site at Fed Square, no straight lines at all!"

I can see lots of straight lines. :P

I think you mean parallel, you silly author...

Jess the Reader said...

"Melbourne is probably the best writers festival I've done anywhere, even beating Edinburgh which a lot of people say is the best in the world."

OMG, as a Melburnian, a volunteer at the festival and a massivve CHERUB fan, there can be no higher praise! Thank you so much, that's so lovely of you. I'm so ecstatic now, this has made my day.

And I'm reading my copy of The Fall which you signed for me. Awesome!

P.S. So does this mean you will be visiting us much more often now? Please?

Anonymous said...

The fanboyism here is remarkable.

Shame I'll be too busy studying for exams which start the next Monday (YA!) to make it to the Adelaide Event.

I would have loved to mock the little 'uns who where fufilling their life dreams.

Anonymous said...

"The fanboyism here is remarkable.

Shame I'll be too busy studying for exams which start the next Monday (YA!) to make it to the Adelaide Event.

I would have loved to mock the little 'uns who where fufilling their life dreams."

Gunny, Your sarcasm is a pathetic attempt to demonstrate your "superiority"

Anonymous said...

you spelt annoyed wrong. ha ha. u spelt it annoied. i went to your book signing in adelaide today.