Tuesday 26 August 2008

Balding 35 year old author gets into a Hummer...

Hectic day... Started off with a photo shoot and an interview for The Age newspaper, another session for 450 kids at the Melbourne Writers Festival, then an appearance on a 'Conversation Hour' program on ABC radio (The radio station download site is HERE (link) but the interview won't be online to listen to until Tuesday next week)

After that I went and signed some stock for two local bookstores. At one I was approached by a woman who said that she wanted to buy one of my books because her son had seen my event and liked the sound of my books.

Actually, that's not strictly true. What she said was, 'It must have been your books he liked, because he couldn't remember your name, but he definitely said it was some bloke with a weird Pommy accent...'

After that it was time to meet the first of the Hummer ride competition winners. It's not often you can say that you whacked your head on the disco ball when getting into a car, but today is one of those days.

Anyway, we spent an hour driving through Melbourne with Cormac, Harrison, Alice, Christian and the other one whose name I've forgotten (sorry!). The car gives tacky a bad name and I'm sure some of the high brow literary authors back at the writers festival would die of heart attacks if they knew what I got up to in the name of literature!

So here's a few pics of the Hummer ride, complete with the kids, the gadgets, drinks cabinets, lasers and best of all the fog machine. They had Led Zeppelin & the B52s on the stereo and the only thing missing was a bubble blowing machine!

Final pic is of competition winner Alice holding the CHERUB bed quilt being made by her mum! When I get back to Pommyland I'm going to ask my mum to make one for me :-)

EDIT - Oddly I met the kid whose name I forgot in the hotel lift this morning. His name is Jeremy!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oi pommy accent ,are you a author

classic

Anonymous said...

i got an email toda that showed who won for the SA one...:( sadly i wasnt on it:( me go cry now

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is Alice's Mum, her, real Mum, not the one making a quilt...
I would just like to thank you and your team very much for making my daughter's day. It was such a fantastic experience, she was thrilled with the conversations that you had, and it took her a long time to calm down. Her love of the Cherub series is almost legendary, and she has even had me read them too, and I think they are terrific. Congratulations on a wonderful manner and ethic of dealing with kids. May there be many, many more books in the Cherub series.
Cheers

Pam Capstick

Anonymous said...

I guess Aussie's don't get taught not to get into cars with strangers eh Rob :P

Anonymous said...

HI it's Jacob, Im one of Jeremy's friends that was in the lift, that also said "your books are awesome!"
and (standing right in front of you)staring at you going WOW!
Me and my friends think your books are awesome, and i hope i can meet you in the distant future, your my HERO!
Thanks!