Wednesday 3 September 2008

Straw hats in Sydney...


I'm flying off for the NZ leg of the tour later this afternoon.

The last couple of days have been fun, though my voice is getting pretty scratchy from all the talks, interviews and signings. I'm starting to sound a bit like a rusty gate and I hope my vocal cords hold out until my final event in Brisbane on Monday.

Here's a few pics of more schools (De La Salle, Newington Grammar and Knox). I liked the fact that the kids at Knox wear straw hats! I had no idea that there was anywhere in the world where kids still did that.

Also another Hummer ride. This time we got the
full pimped up Hummer with lasers, smoke machines etc inside, and for the first time the girls outnumbered the boys. The driver took us out to Bondai beach where we got plenty of stares from passers by.

Hummer riders Darcy and Ashley bought me a cool leather wallet and a boomerang, which no tourist should leave Australia without!

Also pictured, Sam Kool (aged about 12ish) gave me a copy of his own book at my Pages and Pages signing. I haven't read it yet, but hopefully he'll be a rich and famous writer some day and this will become a valuable first edition!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

straw hats and a uniform,im glsad im not there

Anonymous said...

OMG i cannot believe you spelt Bondi wrong. SHAME ON YOU!! it's BONDI not BONDAI!!!

O well. Don't worry, we all still love you. It's only to be expected of a pommy english scum...

jokes!...

Anonymous said...

I go to knox,

And the straw hats are called boaters!!!

Get sick of wearing them.

Thanks for coming to knox, enjoy the rest of the tour!

Anonymous said...

I go to knox as well and also know they are called boaters. Pretty cool its on a website.

Thanks for coming it was really cool

P.S. GO KNOX

Anonymous said...

OMG I also go to knox the school is awseme, thought the hats are also a bit a annoying,

Thank for coming, it was so much fun,

PS I'm the kid with the big pile of books (though there were heaps of them, it's so popular)

Jess the Reader said...

Congratulations Rob, I just saw that The General is the only Young Adult book to make it on the Reading Top Ten list of bestsellers from the Melbourne Writers Festival.

I still need to get my hands on one of the hardcover bindups of The Recruit and Class A, with all the extra stuff. That black cover looks dead sexy.

PS Do you mind being called Rob, or do you prefer Robert? After hearing you talk, I'd say you're more of a Rob kind of guy, but everyone had their preferences.

Anonymous said...

i got to knox and you have a picture of shoes the far right!!!!
your work rocks

Anonymous said...

and there my shoes!! = )

Anonymous said...

eeuugghhrr...

don't worry rob, knox is pretty much the only school with stupid uniform. Don't let the school taint your memories of Sydney!

knox boys shouldn't really be what you think of in Sydney either...

Anonymous said...

Hey Ed,

Guess who is it??

Rob your work rules, the movie for the recruit should of came out last year!!!!

Anonymous said...

WHY COULDN'T YOU COME TO RAVENSWOOD?!?! we are like two train stops away from knox!!! (by the way we have to wear straw hats too but only in summer:P)
Although i got my brother to sign the book for me, and you even wrote my name!! He said that was rare for you to address it for another person so THANK U!!!

IsraeliKiwi.x said...

when are you gonna blog bout ur trip in AUCKLAND!!!!

The magnificence.

Yes I was the girl that took a photo of you with two other guys.

Remeber one thing! ALL BLACKS FOR EVER

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,
I go to Knox also. (im the guy with every book except for Man vs Beast)
Your speech was totally awesome!!!

Sorry for taking 2many photos of you.


Thanks for coming ;)


P.S the only bad thing was the Barker boys chiming in. (Knox are fierce rivals against barker!)